Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Supermarket fodder...

The summer fruit in Japan is really great, but it comes at a pretty high price. Watermelon is usually my favorite, but peaches are fast closing in on first place. I like them because they're so easy to peel. The nectarines always look choice, but the ones in my local supermarket were about $5 each so I didn't partake. I saw some beautiful grapes yesterday, but as tempting as they were, $100 for a bunch was a little to rich for my blood. Understandable, ne?




















Like little pigs wedged in buckets with their tails cut off.




















"Dyn-o-mite!" Who used to say that? Nice watermelon anyway.




















A very popular desert type snack in Japan is "Dango." For some reason the name really gets to me.
Can't quite put my finger on it, but not to worry, for it is a tasty morsel. Made from sticky pounded rice balls on a skewer and covered in a thick, sweet soy sauce it's naturally very edible.

What better place to enjoy these summer delights than in the world's most depressing play ground. This is located near Mitten's house and although I waited for a child to come along and stand here crying, none were forthcoming. With playgrounds like these, no wonder the kids stay inside all their lives. The entire arrangement consists of a worn fiber glass lion, a concrete log with two nubs which appear to be ears (one visible on its left end), and something that resembles a disused long-jump pit with no sand in it. What's the deal?
















Beware of fun.

No comments: