Sunday, July 24, 2005

Not cool...

Today, after three years in Japan, I experienced my first truly frightening earthquake. For all you heroes out there being tough and saying today weren't nothing, I extend to you a rousing Fuck You. Today was fucking scary. Watching twelve story buildings swaying like branches in the wind was not fun. Enduring the spine chilling hammering of a shifting tectonic plate was not fun. Being on the sixth floor of a rickety building in the middle of Shinjuku was not fun. Anyway, as I journalist of reputable skill, I recalled my duty as recorder of epic events and quickly snapped away with my trusty mobile telephone camera. The following photos are of Shinjuku station, the busiest train station in the world, and my place within it.
PS) Earthquake struck around 4pm, photos taken around 7pm. Photos are not listed chronologically, or in order of importance.
















JW, me and Irish Joe. Together we stand, shaken yet resiliant.




















The first sign of trouble...this is the east entrance to my platform.




















He earned his money tonight.















Gettin' busy.















Damn.















Lucky I brought my camera.















"Do I get more money if I cry?"















Under ground...not good.















Above ground...not much better.

I must apologise for the limited scope of these pics. To be honest, no damage was suffered in the above depicted neck of the woods. As such, I've tried to portray the extent of congestion that this city's infrastructure must cope with from time to time. This particular station is f'ing huge...it goes on and on and spreads itself far and deep underground. It's easy to forget that this requires management. It's not by accident that all of these people got home via public transport tonight. Dudes were working on it, hardcore.

And check out this last photo...















11 pm and all's well.

No comments: